Cairo is the home to the Great Pyramids of Giza, the only Wonder of the Ancient World still standing (the Lighthouse of Alexandria was damaged and left as a ruin by several earthquakes). A gateway to the Nile and Africa, Cairo is ranked by Lonely Planet as the 3rd top destination to visit in 2020. It is a vibrant, mesmerizing and often chaotic city while its people are friendly, helpful and very resourceful.
When to go
Egypt only has two seasons with a very mild and quite dry winter season. December to January is a very popular time to visit but we would recommend visiting in October and November. Not only will you experience a more comfortable climate, but you should also benefit from lower hotel rates (especially if booked via Travala.com) and shorter queues at most attractions and places of interest.
And Cairo has many.
What to do
- No visit to Cairo is complete without a trip to the Pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx and with both just on the outskirts of the city, a camel ride is one of the best ways to catch your first views.
- While Giza is the main attraction, a visit to the necropolis at Memphis and Saqqara are an eye catching and awe-inspiring addition to your tour of Cairo’s ancient sites.
- Learn about the history of Egypt and view ancient relics including mummies and the 11kg solid gold mask of Tutenkhamun at the Eyptian Museum in Cairo.
- From late 2020, these antiquities will be found at the new Grand Egyptian Museum, only 2 kilometres from Giza and arguably the largest archaeological museum in the world.
- Egypt is an Islamic country and the car free Citadal provides stunning views over the city and is home to four mosques including the imposing and beautiful Mosque of Muhammad Ali.
- Cairo, historically, was a Christian stronghold in Egypt and Copti Cairo is a wonderous part of the Old Cario to explore.
- Escape the hustle and bustle with a few relaxing hours in Al-Azhar Park, formerly a rubbish dump and now one of the world’s greatest public spaces.
- For an even more relaxing experience spend a few hours sailing along the Nile in a felucca and enjoy a spectacular sunset view.
- Then spend an evening (or every evening) playing backgammon and smoking shisha pipes in rooftop bars. It is an amazing way to end your day and to enjoy the company of the locals as long as you don’t mind losing at backgammon.
- Set sail on the Nile and depart from Cairo with an unforgettable scenic cruise to Luxor and/or Aswan, with the best last minute deals secured using connected and astute street vendors.
Where to stay
Below are our top picked properties for the stay in Cairo. Booking dates are 28th – 29th November, 2019 with the price corrects as of 13th November, 2019
5* Le Meridien Pyramids
Classic Room with King Bed, City View
Booking.com: $153.22 (17.8% saving with Travala.com)
5* Mercure Cairo Le Sphinx
Standard Room with Double / Twin Bed With View (Breakfast Included)
Booking.com: $103.44(10% saving with Travala.com)
5* Cataract Pyramids Resort
Standard Room with Double/Twin Bed, with View
Booking.com: $39.58 (27.9% saving with Travala.com)
5* Helnan Dreamland Hotel
Superior room (Breakfast Included)
Booking.com: $158.61 (27.9% saving with Travala.com)
5* Hilton Pyramids Golf
Deluxe Room with King bed (Breakfast Included)
Booking.com: $151.31 (20.6% saving with Travala.com)
5* Movenpick Hotel & Casino Cairo Media City
Classic Room with King Bed, Pool View
Booking.com: $168.22 (29.6% saving with Travala.com)